The only dagger without a corresponding scabbard; the Aachen Box contains space for the dagger only. Curiously, it has spaces for the remaining three scabbards, which may indicate that the was made without one. After the Aachen box was broken up, the first record of the dagger is in the hands of Michel-Paul Cantonneau, the 8th Comte du Bloix, in 1785. He apparently acquired it in Aachen itself during a trip to the city’s mineral spas and brothels.
Its appellation as the “Bloix blade” comes from an incident around Christmas of that same year. It was the custom of the Comte to host a reception for nobles under his suzerainty around the holiday, primarily lower nobles and their sons and daughters rather than marquis or ducs. Considered a “charity event,” it was notable for its relatively easy commingling of nobles from different strata and was locally important for matchmaking. Two days before Christmas, 1785, the Comte emerged into the reception with his new blade in hand and began a stabbing spree that resulted in the deaths of 17 guests and the wounding of a further 22.
A force of 10 Maréchaussée were required to subdue the Comte, who had to be shot to end his rampage. The dagger passed into the hands of a Maréchaussée captain, who murdered his family and disappeared into the Foie woods not quite one year later. Since then, the dagger has been associated with a number of incidents, many of which cannot be verified conclusively:
-The murder, in 1791, of a patrol of National Guardsmen near Foie.
-A 1796 massacre of royalist prisoners in the Vendée region by a Guardsman.
-An 1812 outbreak of violence in Paris that claimed 17 lives in the 3rd Arrondissement, principally street vendors.
-The murder of large families by seemingly otherwise wealthy and well-adjusted members in 1801, 1822, 1837, 1844, and 1871.
In 1871, the Bloix blade was taken from its last known owner, a member of the Paris Commune who had attacked a gathering of priests and nuns. It entered into the metallurgy collection at the Musée des Arts et Métiers, where it remained until identified as part of the Aachen set in 1901.