Darkmoor Manor was sited by George D’Arkham, the first Lord Darkmoor created by Henry VII in 1489, in a cool moist valley for maximum fogginess. In addition to being reflective of D’Arkham’s dour countenance—Henry himself was known to call him “old Sir Peatbog—the location suited his dislike of sunshine and he saw it as a potent defensive measure. The victory that his knights had at Bosworth Field, switching sides and charging out of a bank of fog to cut off Richard III, certainly played a part.

After his father died of drowning in his own bedroom, the second Lord Darkmoor was distressed to find that there was already a Darkmoor Castle in Yorkshire. This discovery, during construction, is why the proposed fortifications were never built. Darkmoor Manor would be among the earliest stately purpose-built country estates but for the gloomy atmosphere that led historians and architects alike to thoroughly ignore it.

The third Lord Darkmoor was a nephew of the previous holder, and took over after his uncle’s sudden death from an attack of defenestration in the manor kitchen. He was responsible for the library, which was a major consumer of funds. Much of the estate was squandered on maintenance on the manor, which tended to mold, replacement of library books, which tended to mold even faster, and keeping up food stocks, which molded so fast as to make the manor and books appear to be somewhat mold-resistant in comparison.

  • Like what you see? Purchase a print or ebook version!
Advertisements